27 May 2010

My take on banana splits

A few weeks ago I said that I would share some ideas on Kitchen Torch Applications.  Here's one:




It's really very simple.  All you need to do is take a tablespoon of sugar and spread it out on a little plate.  Then, slice your banana(s) crosswise into rounds about ½" to ¾" thick.  Dip one flat side of each round into the sugar, and lay the rounds sugared-side-up on a heatproof tray (like a baking sheet).  Depending on how many bananas you are going to torch, you may need more sugar - I just use a tablespoon at a time, to avoid waste.


When you have sugared all your banana rounds, light up your torch.  The fun begins!  Wave your torch over the top surface, until the sugar has caramelized to the level that you want.  Some people prefer darker caramelization, others only just-so.


Scoop out vanilla ice cream on to a plate or bowl.  Add some caramelized banana rounds.  Drizzle caramel sauce.  Enjoy immediately (as if I had to tell you that!)


I usually estimate half a banana per person, but there really isn't a recipe for this - it's really up to you!


7 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Cookie! You've done it again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea... I usually grill bananas and put it on ice cream and drizzle with caramel but this is easier and faster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine all the wonderful things YOU would cook on the grill!

    ReplyDelete